A report released Thursday by a workers’ advocacy group says Walmart, the nation’s largest private employer, routinely refuses to accept doctors’ notes, penalizes workers who need to take care of a sick family member and otherwise punishes employees for lawful absences.
1. According to the accusations, what Acts has Walmart violated?
2. The article talks about a group known as The Better Balance. What is this group?
3. According to the article, what is wrong with the written policies and procedures for how managers and supervisors should respond to employees who need help because of medical issues?
4. What are the eligibility requirements for employees to be protected by the Family and Medical Leave Act?
5. Go to the specifics of the lawsuit filed by the two former Walmart employees by clicking on the hyperlink in the article. Who did the two women file discrimination complaints with?
6. At this point, what type of disclosure (if any) do you think Walmart should include in the notes to its financial statements regarding the suit?
Abrams, R. (2017). Walmart Is Accused of Punishing Workers for Sick Days. The New York Times, June 1 (Retrievable online at www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/business/walmart-workers-sick-days.html).