According to the New York Times, if the acquisition of Bed Bath & Beyond by Overstock.com is approved at bankruptcy court next week, the company will own the intellectual property of the bankrupt home goods retailer.
- How much did Overstock.com’s stock price rise with the announcement?
- Why has Overstock been expanding into home décor and small appliance offerings?
- Why is the issue of owning intellectual property so important?
- What does intellectual property include?
- How will intellectual property be recorded in the financial records? Include account classification and potential journal entries.
- What other store did Bed Bath & Beyond own that will be auctioned off separately?
Holman, J. (2023) Overstock.com Wins $21.5 Million Bid for Bed Bath & Beyond’s Assets. The New York Times, June 23 (Retrievable online at https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/22/business/bed-bath-beyond-overstock-bankruptcy.html