According to Accounting Today, the Criminal Investigation (CI) division of the IRS has released its top 10 cases for 2022. Which of the agency’s most prominent and high-profile investigations have you heard about?
- Who were the reality TV stars that were guilty of tax evasion through fraudulent bank loans?
- In which case did the underreporting of taxes result in the longest prison sentence?
- In which case was the greatest amount of restitution imposed?
- Of these cases, how many were committed by women?
- Which cases used the ill-gotten gains for Ponzi-like payments?
- Which case did you think was the most complex and why?
Stimpson, J. (2023) The top tax crooks of 2022. Accounting Today, January 16 (Retrievable online at https://www.accountingtoday.com/list/the-irs-names-the-top-tax-crooks-of-2022)