According to the Washington Post, a false hacker post at the SEC’s official account on the social media platform X (previously Twitter), set off a brief frenzy among crypto traders before the agency regained control.
- Has the SEC approved the listing and trading of spot bitcoin exchange-traded products?
- What would have been the benefit of the scam post by anyone with knowledge of the scam post?
- The hijack was one of an account with a silver check mark. Why is this notable and what was the question raised in the article?
- What has happened with check labeled accounts in recent weeks?
- What is SIM-swapping and why is it a security risk?
Menn, J. (2024). Hackers seize control of SEC’s X account to promote crypto. The Washington Post, Jan. 10 (Retrievable online at https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/01/09/sec-hack-x-crypto)