According to the New York Times, as Japan’s population shrinks, more than 10 million abandoned properties are available for as little as $25,000.
- What is the Japanese word for “empty house”?
- What is the quantitative forecast of “empty houses” in Japan by 2033?
- Explain why the empty housing situation has not impacted urban markets.
- What are the problems with renovating Japanese houses?
- What are the tax problems associated with the empty houses?
Hornyak, T. (2023). Japan Has Millions of Empty Houses. Want to Buy One for $25,000? The New York Times, April 19 (Retrievable online at https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/17/realestate/japan-empty-houses.html?)