According to Nigel Jaquiss, Portland was recently ranked 71st out of the largest 75 cities in America for its financial health by a national watchdog group.
- What is the name of the watchdog group?
- What does the failing grade stem from?
- What do city officials offer in defense of their denial of the group’s ranking?
- Explain the bond ratings, the rating agency, and the bonds’ relationship to the city’s pension plan.
- What are unfunded actuarial liabilities?
Jaquiss, N. (2022). City Officials Dispute Failing Financial Grade From Accounting Watchdog. The Willamette Weekly, Feb. 13 (Retrievable online at https://www.wweek.com/news/2022/02/13/city-officials-dispute-failing-financial-grade-from-accounting-watchdog/)