According to New Jersey Advance Media, a Burlington County, N.J. man, Mark D’Amico, 42, and his then-girlfriend admitted setting up a GoFundMe page, based on a lie about a helpful homeless man, and ultimately bilked online givers out of $400,000.
- What did D’Amico and his girlfriend use the money for?
- The page said that the fundraiser was for____________________ with a goal of ____________________.
- What was the heartwarming story that attracted online donations?
- What did the homeless man get from the scam and what did he use it for?
- What were D’Amico and his girlfriend charged with?
- What is the rest of the story about the money and the homeless man?
- What did GoFundMe do about the fraud and how do you think the company accounts for this type of situation?
Cohen, N.M. (2021) N.J. man pleads guilty in $400K GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran. NJ.com, Nov. 23 (Retrievable online at https://www.pennlive.com/news/2021/11/nj-man-pleads-guilty-in-400k-gofundme-scam-involving-homeless-veteran.html)
Associated Press Staff (2018). GoFundMe says donors in alleged homeless scam refunded. Dec. 25 (Retrievable online at https://www.pennlive.com/news/2018/12/gofundme-says-donors-in-alleged-homeless-scam-refunded.html)
Everett, R. (2018). Prosecutor details greed, backstabbing that he said undid GoFundMe scam by homeless vet, N.J. couple. Nov. 15 (Retrievable online at https://www.pennlive.com/nation-world/2018/11/prosecutor-details-greed-backstabbing-that-he-said-undid-gofundme-scam-by-homeless-vet-nj-couple.html)