According to the New York Times, Amazon surpasses all largest private employers in adding the number of workers in a single year. Despite this, the costs to workers is not covered by the online giant.
- Why does the article claim that health benefits and a 401(k) is not enough to compensate employees?
- Why was COVID-19 the breaking point toward workers’ rights to unionize?
- How many federal investigations have been initiated against Amazon since 2012, including workplace violations?
- Do you agree or disagree that Amazon has created a net benefit for Eastvale and its neighboring cities? List and discuss costs and benefits mentioned in the article in order to make your decision.
- Do you think the Alabama movement toward unionization will succeed? Why or why not?
- What was the “Make Amazon Pay” coalition?
- What was the most interesting thing you learned from this article?
Hayasaki, E. (2021). Amazon’s Great Labor Awakening. The New York Times, Feb. 18 (Retrievable online at https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/18/magazine/amazon-workers-employees-covid-19.html)