According to the Washington Post, there is a legacy of systemic racism that our government created and in many ways still isn’t doing enough to eradicate.
- Based on the article, how would you briefly explain redlining?
- By what percentage are equivalent Black homes in neighborhoods similar to white neighborhoods undervalued?
- What is the key to net worth of most Americans?
- What persistent myth about Black homeownership did the author emphasize?
- Prior to reading this article, were you aware of the mapping system established in the 1930s, regarding mortgage loans?
Singletary, M. (2020) Being Black lowers the value of my home: The legacy of redlining. The Washington Post, Oct. 26 (Retrievable online at https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/10/23/redlining-black-wealth/?arc404=true)