According to the Washington Post, The Life Care Center of Kirkland in Washington State failed to report an outbreak of respiratory illness to local authorities for two weeks as required by law under Medicare and Medicaid, which led to 40 COVID-19 deaths at the nursing home.
- How much is the per-day civil penalty levied against the nursing home for the period between February 12 to March 27?
- Based on #1, what is the total outstanding federal fine?
- In addition to the fine, what else could the nursing home lose?
- How many residents, staff and visitors were infected with the coronavirus?
- Besides failing to report the respiratory problems, what activities did the nursing home have that continued to spread the virus?
Sachetti, M. and J. Swaine. (2020). Wash. nursing home faces $611,000 fine over lapses during fatal coronavirus outbreak. The Washington Post, April 2 (Retrievable online at https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/wash-nursing-home-faces-611000-fine-over-lapses-during-fatal-coronavirus-outbreak/2020/04/02/757cee76-7498-11ea-87da-77a8136c1a6d_story.html)