According to Accounting Today, Bernie Ebbers, infamous for the World Com fraud was granted early release for health reasons.
- What is the First Step Act and why did the author think that this had a bearing on the case?
- How long had Bernie Ebbers served?
- When MCI went bankrupt as a function of the fraud, which company acquired it?
- If you had been an investor, would you have approved of early release? Why or why not?
- At the end of the article, what other fraudsters were mentioned and what were the outcomes of their appeals?
Dolmetsch, C. (2019). WorldCom’s Ebbers wins early release . Accounting Today, December 20 (Retrievable online at https://www.accountingtoday.com/articles/worldcoms-bernard-ebbers-wins-early-release-from-prison?position=editorial_10&campaignname=ACT%20Daily-12232019&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ACT_Daily_Daily_TEST%2B%27-%27%2B12232019&bt_ee=dTd6MPjduXoPmCpPvg4x7ppeZw01kzXlFdPM5isNbuk%3D&bt_ts=1577098906745)