Elon Musk has implied that the $420 stock price he floated for taking Tesla private was not a covert reference to weed, contrary to widespread speculation.
- What number is a widely recognized coded reference to marijuana and why?
- Which media outlet interviewed Elon Musk when he mentioned the 420?
- Based on past news items about Elon Musk, do you believe the interview or the speculated “weed” backstory about the number? Why or why not?
- What do they mean about the “premium” and “going private” in the story? Explain.
- When was $420 a reality for Tesla?
Bostock, T. (2019). Elon Musk’s $420 target for Tesla stock probably wasn’t a reference to weed. Businessinsider.com, Dec. 23 (Retrievable online at https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-denies-his-420-stock-about-weed-wasnt-high-2018-8)