While retailers want shoppers to pick up online orders in stores in order to save on shipping costs, Buzz Feed notes that this new method has led to an increase in fraudsters trying to steal orders.
1. How many more shoppers chose to buy purchases online and pick them up in stores during the 2018 holiday season as compared with the previous season?
2. How many more scammers attempted to hack into online accounts and use them for “buy online, pick up in store” purchases between Nov. 1 and Dec. 31, 2018 as compared to the previous year?
3. What is two-factor authentication?
4. If you were explaining good security hygiene to a friend, regarding consumer accounts, what would you include?
5. If the retailers save shipping costs, who ends up paying the costs of the merchandise lost to scammers?
Miranda, L. (2019). The Option To Pick Up Online Purchases In Stores Is A Boon For Scammers. Buzz Feed News: Tech, Jan. 17 (Retrievable online at https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/leticiamiranda/hacking-retail-accounts-stealing-online-in-store-pickups)