While it’s only September, holiday hiring is ramping up! With historically low unemployment rates plus projections of record-breaking holiday sales, retailers, from major chains to small businesses, are being forced to offer higher pay, catchier perks, and other discounts to attract temporary holiday workers.
1. What are some of the perks that retailers are offering to new hires?
2. According to Deloitte, how much are holiday sales expected to rise?
3. What is the fear of employers if they cannot hire enough help?
4. How many temporary workers do Target, Macy’s, and UPS plan to hire?
5. How does the information in this article impact accountants?
Bhattarai, A. (2018). In holiday ‘war for talent,’ retailers offer turkey dinners and haircut deals to lure temp workers. Washington Post, Sep. 28 (Retrievable online at https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/in-holiday-war-for-talent-retailers-offer-turkey-dinners-and-haircuts-to-lure-temp-workers/2018/09/28/84790d66-c1b5-11e8-b338-a3289f6cb742_story.html)