According to the Guardian, American teachers are getting paid less – even though they are better qualified than ever!
1. What are the states that saw even sharper declines in salaries than the average?
2. What kind of structural change is happening within the teacher workforce?
3. How much less do teachers make than similarly educated professionals in other jobs?
4. How much more student debt do teachers with masters degrees have than MBAs?
5. Research what types of efforts could be done to increase teachers’ salaries and present a proposal that would alleviate some of the problems mentioned in the article.
Durkin, E. (2018). Teacher pay drops 5% in last decade – despite better qualified staff. The Guardian, Sep. 4 (Retrievable online at https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/04/teacher-pay-study-dropped-last-decade-report)