According to Slate, the Supreme Court dragged a bit of American tax law into the 21st century when they ruled that states could force all online retailers to collect sales taxes, even if they lack a physical presence there.
1. Do you think the ruling will change buying habits? Explain.
2. What case was quoted in the court’s 5-to-4 decision to overturn the tax-less precedent for online retailers?
3. According to the article, which stocks dropped and by how much due to the new ruling?
4. What type of lobbying was going on regarding the sales tax?
5. Why was Amazon already collecting sales tax?
6. When will collection of online sales tax start for most sites?
Weissman, J. (2018). Jeff Bezos Will Lose Zero Sleep Over the Supreme Court’s Decision to End Tax-Free Online Shopping. Slate, June 21 (Retrievable online at https://slate.com/business/2018/06/the-supreme-court-ended-tax-free-online-shopping-amazon-will-be-fine.html)