The name of “meat grown in a lab” has not yet been decided by regulators, but has sparked a war of words between animal rights advocates and cattle ranchers.
1. What is the problem with calling it “Clean Meat”?
2. What has the U.S. Cattlemen’s Association done to eliminate problems for its producers in the future?
3. What name for “meat grown in a lab” do you prefer?
4. Is this naming problem unique to meat or are there other foods that have a similar problem? Give examples.
5. What did you find the most interesting about this article?
6. Use your imagination: What do you type of snappy name do you think McDonald’s might name one of their signature burgers made with “meat grown in a lab”?
Choi, C. (2018) Meat 2.0? Clean meat? Spat shows the power of food wording. Associated Press, June 19 (Retrievable online at https://apnews.com/d61aa520e6204b85b5dae69e925db8a9/Meat-2.0?-Clean-meat?-Spat-shows-the-power-of-food-wording)