The Veteran’s Administration (VA) has a new program that provides housing and care for veterans for an alternative to nursing home care for those who cannot live safely on their own. Veterans pay their caregivers $1,500 to $3,000 a month, depending on location, saving the government about $10,000 a month in nursing home care.
1. How much is this program expected to cost the VA?
2. What are the benefits of the program?
3. Currently, how many veterans are expected to benefit from the program?
4. Explain whether it available in all states and what limitations the program faces.
5. What is the problem with direct payment by the VA?
Kime, P. (2018). VA turns to foster care for veterans instead of putting them in nursing homes. The Washington Post, May 26 (Retrievable online at https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/va-turns-to-foster-care-for-veterans-instead-of-putting-them-in-nursing-homes/2018/05/25/badc47cc-5d26-11e8-a4a4-c070ef53f315_story.html)