According to the Washington Post, Amazon is justifying Prime’s 20 percent price hike, to $119 a year, by saying it is more a valuable service than when the fee last rose four years ago.
1. How many Amazon customers are Prime members?
2. What did the article (April 27) offer as alternatives or ways to get around Prime fees? Will any work for you? Discuss.
3. What happened to Amazon 1st quarter profits for 2018? (April 26 article)
4. How much did shares spike in after-hour trading on April 26 and what was the stock price?
5. What has been an important cornerstone of Amazon’s retail business and why?
Bhattari, A. (2018) How to get around Amazon Prime’s new $119 fee. The Washington Post, April 27 (Retrievable online at https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/2018/04/27/how-to-get-around-amazon-primes-new-119-fee/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.151637954535)
Bhattari, A. (2018). Amazon doubles its profit — and hikes Prime membership fee 20%. The Washington Post, April 26 (Retrievable online at https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/amazon-doubles-its-profit—and-hikes-prime-membership-by-20/2018/04/26/31f5a14c-489a-11e8-827e-190efaf1f1ee_story.html?utm_term=.ac0cd81aeaa8)