According to the New York Times, Trump administration officials are seeking ways to lower drug costs but target pharmaceutical companies that refuse to provide samples of their products to generic drug companies, making it impossible to create inexpensive generic copies of a brand-name medicine.
1. Argue both sides of this issue as a good thing or a bad thing.
2. Why is the Federal Trade Commission investigating this and what is the main thing that they are worried about?
3. What does the Bill by Leahy and Lee propose?
4. Would the Bill be a boon to trial lawyers? Explain.
5. Who would be the winner in this Bill situation?
Pear, R. (2018). Drug Company ‘Shenanigans’ to Block Generics Come Under Federal Scrutiny. The New York Times, April 14, 2018 (Retrievable online at https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/14/us/politics/drug-companies-generic.html)