A team of scientists is hard at work behind the scenes to make meat by developing cell lines of various species of animals. Hampton Creek (now called JUST) is among a handful of startups with the goal of bringing “clean meat” and other cultured animal products into the mainstream.
1. What is the value of Hampton Creek?
2. What is the main goal of these startups?
3. What was the most interesting thing you read in this article?
4. What role can you see the accountant take in these type of ventures?
5. Would you eat meat made in a laboratory?
Shapiro, P. (2018) Lab-made meat could be the next food revolution: here’s what it tastes like. The Guardian, Jan. 31 (Retrievable online at https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/jan/31/eat-it-without-the-guilt-the-story-of-the-worlds-first-clean-foie-gras)