According to the Associated Press and USA Today, government investigators looking into how Google pays its employees have accused the tech giant of shortchanging women doing similar work to men.
1. What are some of the claims?
2. Which branch of government filed the lawsuit?
3. Google has said it has turned over some of the requested records, but why has it withheld other information?
4. What other Silicon Valley company has recently been sued for similar discrepancies?
5. Should these types of actions be reported in the financial statements ? If so, how and where?
Staff. 2017. U.S. accuses Google of underpaying female workers. Associated Press, April 9 (Retrievable online at https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2017/04/09/us-labor-department-google-compensation/100258444/)