Libre, a for-profit company whose name means “free” in Spanish, is charging immigrants who sign contracts $420 per month for their freedom while wearing the company’s GPS devices. The company is now subject to a number of lawsuits and allegations of fraud by immigrants.
1. Do you think a company should be allowed to sell this type of service? Why or why not?
2. What other types of services does the company provide besides GPS monitoring?
3. What types of allegations are being made against the company?
4. According to the article, how many immigrants have worked with the company’s services?
5. What is the yearly revenue of the company and who is the CEO?
Miller, M.E. (2017). This company is making millions from America’s broken immigration system. The Washington Post, Mar. 9 (Retrievable online at https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/this-company-is-making-millions-from-americas-broken-immigration-system/2017/03/08/43abce9e-f881-11e6-be05-1a3817ac21a5_story.html)