Remember when sales at Walmart stores open at least a year fell for five straight quarters and the company’s revenue fell for the first time in Walmart’s 45-year run as a public company in 2015? According to the New York Times, this is how they changed the dissatisfaction that customers felt.
1. What was Walmart’s idea that set them on a better path?
2. What were the investments that Walmart made?
3. Explain what relentless focuses on cost were relaxed or reversed.
4. What have these changes done to attract different types of workers?
5. Discuss whether you think these changes are short-term or long-term approaches to the Walmart problems. Give examples.
Irwin, N. (2016). How Did Walmart Get Cleaner Stores and Higher Sales? It Paid Its People More. The New York Times, Oct. 14 (Retrievable online at http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/16/upshot/how-did-walmart-get-cleaner-stores-and-higher-sales-it-paid-its-people-more.html)