Since 2014, a Michigan law has limited Tesla Motors’ capacity to sell in the state, after the Republican-led legislature implemented a statute that banned the company’s only method of selling its cars to consumers.
1. What are the four states that Tesla has been shut out of?
2. Where did Tesla win its most high-profile battle?
3. Who are the primary challengers against the Tesla business model and why?
4. What is the thinking behind a constitutional challenge? What is your opinion of this approach?
5. From an accounting standpoint, how does the Tesla model differ from a GM model of sales?
Felton, R. (2016) Tesla fights back as Michigan goes to new lengths to shut company out. The Guardian, Oct. 9 (Retrievable online at https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/oct/09/tesla-michigan-ban-detroit-lawsuit)