Reversing a landmark ruling from the George W. Bush era, the National Labor Relations Board ruled today that graduate students who work as teaching and research assistants at private universities have the right to form labor unions.
1. Where did the original case take place?
2. What universities are excluded from the ruling and why?
3. What types of issues were at stake?
4. What types of payroll issues will this affect?
5. What types of HR issues will this affect?
Source: Harkinson, J. (2016). In a Major Reversal, Labor Board Says Graduate Student Workers at Private Colleges Can Unionize. Mother Jones, Aug. 23 (Retrievable online at http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/08/nlrb-grad-students-right-organize-union)