While strict rules require account holders to affirmatively opt into banking overdraft protection plans, a U.S. subsidiary of the Spanish banking giant, Santander Bank, which acquired Boston-based Sovereign Bank in 2009, crossed the line.
1. Briefly summarize what the bank did?
2. Who is the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau and what was their role in this issue?
3. Briefly summarize how each vendor transcript violated deceptive practices.
4. If Santander realized that its telemarketers were being overly aggressive early in the relationship, what should they have done?
5. Do you think that the penalty for unlawful practices is reasonable?
Zeitlin, M. (2016). How One Bank Tricked Customers Into Paying Overdraft Fees. BuzzFeed.com, July 15 (Retrievable online at https://www.buzzfeed.com/matthewzeitlin/how-one-bank-tricked-customers-into-paying-overdraft-fees?utm_term=.ohqDKbG7K#.tyrpgmB2g)