For years, Yahoo was the front door to the web and its services still attract a billion visitors a month. But…times are changing and as a result, Yahoo’s core internet operations and land holdings are being sold to Verizon Communications for $4.8 billion.
1. Why was the Yahoo model changing and how?
2. What does Verizon plan to do with Yahoo?
3. What did Marrissa Mayer do to try to revitalize Yahoo?
4. After 4 years as CEO, what will happen to Mayer?
5. What was the most interesting thing that you learned after reading this article?
Goel, V. and Michael J. de la Merced (2016). Yahoo’s Sale to Verizon Ends an Era for a Web Pioneer. The New York Times, July 24 (Retrievable online at http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/25/business/yahoo-sale.html)