Humira and Enbrel are biologic drugs, composed of complex proteins made in living cells. Humira was the No. 1 selling biologic with $14 billion in global sales and Enbrel was the No. 3 biologic at $8.7 billion.
1. Approximately how much is the yearly price tag for these drugs per patient?
2. During the 6 years since the Affordable Care Act cleared the way for adoption of biosimilar drugs, how many have actually been made available to patients and what is the drug?
3. What events are now heating up the biosimilar market?
4. What are submarine patents and what is their purpose?
5. According to the article, if biosimilars get to market, what will be their impact?
Pollack, A. (2016). Makers of Humira and Enbrel Using New Drug Patents to Delay Generic Versions. The New York Times, July 15 (http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/16/business/makers-of-humira-and-enbrel-using-new-drug-patents-to-delay-generic-versions.html)