According to the Washington Post, Peter Berkowitz and his roommates came up with an innovative way to find affordable housing in San Francisco.
1. Why is the cost of living so high in San Francisco?
2. What are some of the other housing alternatives mentioned in the article?
3. How does the median rent for a one-room apartment in San Francisco compare to where you live? Discuss the percentage difference.
4. Explain the inspiration for the design of Berkowitz’s pod and research the trend in small houses. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of these trends.
5. Do you think that San Francisco has housing codes to prevent this? Explain.
Wang, Y. (2016). Man moves to San Francisco, pays $400 a month to sleep in wooden box in friends’ living room. The Washington Post, March 29 (Retrievable online at