Ms. Janet Yellen indicated in testimony before Congress on November 4, that an interest rate increase could come in December 2015. But she added that no decision had been made.
1. When was the last time that the Fed raised interest rates?
2. Where has the benchmark interest rate been since Dec. 16, 2008?
3. What were some of the other measures that the Fed used to prop up the economy after the financial meltdown?
4. What are some of the positive economic signals that weigh into an interest rate hike?
5. What are some of the negative economic signals that weigh into leaving the interest rate alone?
Granville, K. (2015). Why December Is Looking Likelier for a Fed Rate Increase. The New York Times, Nov. 23 (Retrievable online at http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/business/economy/fed-interest-rates.html)