There have been a number of examples of wine-related crimes in recent times. In the wine industry, the most trusted employee could be the person least suspected of committing fraud. This article details some of the most recent frauds in the wine industry.
1. What types of fraud are highlighted in the article?
2. Which of these types is the most common according to the article and the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners?
3. What are the warning signs of theft by an employee?
4. What are some of the preventative measures mentioned in the article to make as part of the business culture?
5. Could this article been written about any type of family-owned small business?
Huffman, J. (2015). Fraud experts tell wineries to wise up. Napa Valley Register.com, Sep. 22 (Retrievable online at http://napavalleyregister.com/news/local/fraud-experts-tell-wineries-to-wise-up/article_e717a080-92c9-5a15-b74c-5a59293d4a83.html)