Are academics actually resorting to government aid? According to the article by Jeremy Weissman, 25% of part-time college faculty are on government aid.
1. According to NBC News, how many part-time faculty are on public assistance?
2. What programs do these include?
3. According to the article, what are the three things that need to happen before wages are raised for part-time University faculty?
4. What are the costs and benefits of being an adjunct faculty?
5. In your opinion, do you think that the risks outweigh the rewards or vice versa? Discuss.
Weissman, J. (2015). Someone Calculated How Many Adjunct Professors Are on Public Assistance, and the Number Is Startling. Slate, April 13 (Retrievable online at http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2015/04/13/adjunct_pay_a_quarter_of_part_time_college_faculty_receive_public_assistance.html)