When Lenovo preinstalled Superfish adware on its laptops, it betrayed its customers and sold out their security.
1. What does this Superfish app do when you are on websites?
2. Do you agree that Lenovo needs to be fined or face legal prosecution?
3. Explain the following statements in financial or business terms: Lenovo sold its soul to the devil and forgot to get much in return. Homer Simpson would’ve made a better Faustian bargain.
4. Do you think Superfish is culpable for violation of any laws for its self-signed root certificate function?
5. Discuss this case in terms of corporate ethics.
Auerbach, D. (2015). You had one job, Lenovo. Slate, Feb. 20 (Retrievable online at http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/bitwise/2015/02/lenovo_superfish_scandal_why_it_s_one_of_the_worst_consumer_computing_screw.html)