According to the New York Times, across Europe, Google has been under fire. This reflects the broader challenges facing American technology companies. Fairly or not, Google has become a glaring proxy for criticism of an intrusive American government and concern over America’s unmatched technology dominance.
1. What other U.S. tech companies are being carefully scrutinized in Europe?
2. Do you agree with the landmark European court ruling this year forcing search providers to purge personal information for people making a request?
3. Which company has long targeted Google?
4. How would you relate this digital privacy legislation to an audit trail of documentation?
5. What is the Paris Declaration of May 15, 2014?
Hakim, D. (2014) Google Is Target of European Backlash on U.S. Tech Dominance. The New York Times, Sep. 8 (Retrievable online at http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/09/technology/google-is-target-of-european-backlash-on-us-tech-dominance.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=LargeMediaHeadlineSum&module=photo-spot-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0)