This article presents a “Dickensian” story about Atalissa, Iowa and the largest jury award in the history of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
1. What was the amount of the awarded damages? Why was the amount reduced?
2. If or when Henry’s Turkey Service pays the judgment for damages and back pay, how would they record the journal entry?
3. What were the paycheck irregularities and who should have caught this fraud? Explain the 2007 example.
4. What role did the article indicate that this case played in the recent executive order to raise the minimum wage to $10.10 an hour for workers employed under certain federal contracts?
5. What is your opinion on the provision of the Fair Labor Standards Act that allows employers or sheltered workshops to pay subminimum wages to employees with disabilities?