Patagonia started out as a small company that made tools for climbers. The company’s worldwide business still embraces Alpinism remains at its heart, making clothes for climbing – as well as for skiing, snowboarding, surfing, fly fishing, paddling and trail running. True to its love for nature, the company’s founder, Yvon Chouinard, launched the company in 1973 with a corporate vision that embraces corporate responsibility and environmental issues.
1. Go to Patagonia’s website and briefly explain the “Footprint Chronicles.”
2. What is the company’s common thread initiative?
3. Go to http://www.thecleanestline.com/. This is the Weblog for the employees, friends and customers of the outdoor clothing company, Patagonia. Choose your favorite posting and tell how it might impact the profits for Patagonia or how it would be accounted for in the company’s financial statements.
1. Patagonia website at www.patagonia.com.
2. MSNBC video. Learning from the Pros – Patagonia (Retrievable online at http://video.msnbc.msn.com/your-business/25963694/)